Saturday, January 12, 2008

Growing Apatite

My blue apatite is healing itself. The lighter color crystals are hard evidence. I have had the fortune to be the keeper of this stone for 5 years. I look at it in amazement every day.
It was a warm and sunny day, just enough wind to throw the frisbee with Jack. He leaps with the grace of a thousand gazelle. Our frisbee is shot but alas, there are none to be found in the netherworld during the winter. I hope to find one that is only a flat ring, i think that would be best for him.
Frisbee Vertigo.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

I do wonder what has happened to my stone. It has been in the box with the other stones for about three months now on the way to Australia. It may have grown a new head.

Vincent said...

Jack is beautyful :-)

Have you ever looked up on the internet how stones "grow" like that? How does it keep making new crystals?

Vincent said...

I found Apatite info, interesting but not on how it grows:

http://www.americanchemistry.com/s_chlorine/science_sec.asp?CID=1250&DID=4728&CTYPEID=113

I guess the components it's made up of can be found in air and bind to it.

Sneezer said...

I have been trying to find an explanation myself. I think the rich salt air, the below sea level yada yada yada. In other words, not a clue. But your explanation is logical and what I suspected. What else can it be, except cosmic rays bombarding the earth constantly.

It seems safer for jacks bones to play with the frisbee than the ball. He doesn't stop short or abruptly putting pressure on his joints. He enjoys it but drops everything when we are nearly home and I end up dragging home dirty slimey frisbee home. I have a special glove I use for it.

thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

Jack is gorgeous! Take a plastic shopping bag with you and slide the Frisbee in it to take home.
love
Viki xx

Sneezer said...

thanks viki, that works out great! You had a lot of experience with Caleb no doubt!